Being born and bred in a tropical city (Mombasa) meant I had the pleasure of drinking coconut water almost anytime I wanted, especially when visiting my grandparents. I did not have to spend a dime in getting coconut water plus madafu (the soft tissue found in the green coconuts).
“lets talk coconut water”.
Found in tropical cities and countries, coconut water is a clear liquid in the fruit’s center that is tapped from young, green coconuts almost the size of a basketball. To get the most water from, you can harvest at 5-7 months of age.
(An old ancient photo of people drinking coconut water somewhere in Africa)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Coconut water has been used for intravenous hydration due to its high electrolyte content and the fact that it is sterile if used directly from the inside of the coconut.
- The liquid inside the coconut contains approximately 46 calories per cup, 10 grams of natural sugar, with little protein and it is FAT FREE! It contains multiple vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that are ideal for human health.
- It is a high electrolyte beverage and therefore when drank helps to maintain blood volume, improve heart health and maintain electrolyte levels. It can help reduce fatigue, stress, and aid in muscle relaxation.
- Coconut water differs from coconut milk. Coconut water is colorless while coconut milk is white. Coconut water has more nutritional value than coconut milk (see article https://kulaafrika.wordpress.com/2015/06/30/coconut-milk-the-african-way/ )
- Cytokinins are naturally occurring plant hormones that may help reduce the growth of cancer cells. There is interesting research on cytokinin content of coconut water which in the future may show some anti-cancer properties although this is subject to more research.
So, is coconut water good for you? The answer is yes! If you really like a nutritious,low-calorie, low-sugar drink. Precaution should be taken by those with kidney diseases as there are high levels of potassium in coconut water.
(Also madafu (the soft tissue found in the green coconuts) as seen above is sweet and edible)
In summary, health benefits of coconut water include:
- Lowered blood pressure.
- Weight loss.
- Increased athletic performance.
- Boosted energy.
- Lowered cholesterol.
- Reduced cellulite.
- Relax muscle tension.
So why not grab a coconut when you are in a tropical city and enjoy coconut water.